ST. XAVIER’S COLLEGE KOLKATA
ST. XAVIER’S COLLEGE OF KOLKATA
St. Xavier’s College is located in Kolkata, India, and is named after St. Francis Xavier, a Jesuit saint of the 16th century, who traveled to India. It is an autonomous college affiliated to the University of Calcutta.A Christian Minority Educational Institution, St. Xavier’s was founded in 1860 by a Catholic Christian Minority Religious body, the Society of Jesus, and was affiliated to Calcutta University in 1862. While preference is shown to the educational and cultural needs of the Minority community, admission is open to all irrespective of caste, creed and Nationality.
Apart from doing service to the community in the educational sphere, it is also involved in the environmental issues, youth welfare, women’s welfare and poverty reduction.St. Xavier’s College offers UG and PG courses under five faculties : Arts, Science, Commerce, Business Administration, and Education.The medium of instruction is English. However, candidates coming from vernacular medium schools are offered facilities to improve their skill in spoken English.
The college has an elected non-political student body called St. Xavier’s College Student Union (SXCSU) which co-ordinates all the cultural activities on the campus.The College aims at imparting knowledge to the students with a mission :
- To become a centre of excellence in Higher Education
- To excel in all areas of teaching-learning, research and consultancy
- To contribute to the creation of knowledge and to search for meaning of life
- To provide education that qualifies as international class for our students
- To inspire and challenge all segments of the college to raise the realm of good to great to greater, through continuous assessment
- To become a home of culture and consciously promote communal harmony and cultural integration to create an atmosphere of dialogue in the campus
- Click here for the Official Website of St. Xavier’s College Kolkata