PRESIDENCY COLLEGE CHENNAI
PRESIDENCY COLLEGE OF CHENNAI
Presidency College in Chennai (Madras), India, is considered to be the precursor of the University of Madras.It had taken, decades for the College to take shape. At the behest of Sir Thomas Munro a Committee of public instruction was formed in 1826. In 1836 the duties of the Committee of public instruction was taken over by “The Committee of Native Education.” The plan drawn up by the Committee did not commend themselves to Lord Elphinstone who in turn proposed nineteen resolutions which were passed unanimously.
When the University of Madras was founded in 1857, Presidency College was affiliated to it.The College offers degrees in History, Political Science, Economics, English Literature, Tamil Literature, Hindi Literature, Malayalam Literature, Tamil Literature.The College has Departments for Language, Science,Arts and Commerce.
India Today ranked the college as the no. 1 science college in India in 2001, and in 2002 as India’s no. 1 arts college. It also serves its society by educating the poor and socially under-privileged communities with an affordable fee structure.The College has a very noble vision with the following objectives :
- To provide quality sustained essential higher education at all times adapting to changing environment for a meaningful and self-supporting life to the economically poor and socially under-privileged sections of the society
- To provide value based education to inculcate a sense of responsibility, patriotism, social awareness and to become a good citizen of the country
- To Provide technical skills and knowledge and to meet the challenges and competencies among students
- To identify the potentialities and encourage active and quality research useful for the development of the society and the nation
- Click here for the Official Website of Presidency College Chennai