The President of India ( Rashtrapati ) is the head of state and first citizen of India. The President is also the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces of India. The President is elected by an electoral college composed of elected members of the parliament houses, Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, and also members of the Vidhan Sabha, the state legislative assemblies. The current President is Pratibha Patil, was elected as the 12th President of India in 2007. She is also the first woman to serve as President of India.
Here is a list of the Indian Presidents with their period of work :
1. Dr. Rajendra Prasad ( 26th January 1950 to 13th May 1962 )
2. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan ( 13th May 1962 to 13th May 1967 )
3. Zakir Hussain ( 13th May 1967 to 3rd May 1969 )
Varahagiri Venkata Giri ( 3rd May 1969 to 20th July 1969 ) and Muhammad Hidayatullah ( 20th July 1969 to 24th August 1969 ) served as the acting President.
4. Varahagiri Venkata Giri ( 24th August 1969 to 24th August 1974 )
5. Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed ( 24th August 1974 to 11th February 1977 )
Basappa Danappa Jatti ( 11th February 1977 to 25th July 1977 ) served as the acting President.
6. Neelam Sanjiva Reddy ( 25th July 1977 to 25th July 1982 )
7. Giani Zail Singh ( 25th July 1977 to 25th July 1987 )
8. Ramaswamy Venkataraman ( 25th July 1987 to 25th July 1992 )
9. Shankar Dayal Sharma ( 25th July 1992 to 25th July 1997 )
10. Kocheril Raman Narayanan ( 25th July 1997 to 25th July 2002 )
11. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam ( 25th July 2002 to 25th July 2007 )
12. Pratibha Patil ( 25th July 2007 to 25th July 2012 )
13. Pranab Mukherjee ( present )